How to Get an ‘A’ in Style
Checklist for MLA style papers:
- Type: Times
New Roman or Arial, 12 pt, black, plain (MSWord usually defaults to
Calibri 11 pt, which is acceptable)
- Double spaced throughout; no single space, no extra
- One inch margins left, right, top, and bottom
- Header one-half inch from top
- Header is last name and page number: Jones 3
- MLA style four-line heading: Name, Instructor, Course name and
- MLA style date:
20 January 2012 (no punctuation).
- Title of paper is centered; no underline, no bold, no
special type, no all caps.
- Paragraphs are indented 5 spaces or ½ inch
- Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation
- Every bit of information is documented using
parenthetical documentation with first word of Works Cited or Bibliography
- End-of-sentence punctuation is after the parenthesis.
- Works Cited page or Bibliography is a separate page,
last page of paper.
- Works Cited or
Bibliography is centered on title line; no underline, no bold, no all
- At least
_______ sources; special requirements for sources:
- Sources are
listed in alphabetical order by first word.
information is included in source entry.
information is in correct order in entry.
- Correct use of
punctuation within source entry.
- First line of source entry is flush left; next lines
are word-wrapped with hanging indent.